Thread: allow users to upload torrents?

Lightbulb allow users to upload torrents?

what does ecohf or fa think about this idea?

Something I'd be in favour of...

casvdry

Anything to lessen the load on these beasts should always be considered a great idea! In fact, you could introduce and setup a torrentbits site much like the one the private trackers run off of. Keep the forum going on it's dedicated server keep attachments going until there is ample content through your private tracker then disable uploading new attachments and slowly parse them out. It'd be a bit easier on the resources doing files through torrents as opposed to the forum and it would encourage more sharing.

You could keep the subscription model and allow those with subscriptions a very low share ratio. Like .3 and those who were not paying members would have to maintain a 1:1.

OK OK SHUT UP NOPITY4U THIS IS NOT YOUR DAMN SITE!

This would only be my hopes

Question Excuse Me !!!!

What????? I have no idea what your talking about....???

casvdry

I will try to explain it in lamens terms Bukkakeboy

Currently, facialforum serves files directly from a server in which they pay for. This bandwidth is included as part of what they pay for. When we upload movie files to the server, it is the server that the files reside on. Well, some genius named Brahm Cohen invented what we like to call bittorrent. Bittorrent is not a centralized system. It is decentralized. It is considered file sharing but it differs from most file sharing tools.

There are many different programs which can be used to share files through the bittorrent system. What you do is choose a program. Say you have a directory with 10 Mpegs. You tell this bittorrent program "Hey, take these files and create a .torrent file" A torrent self by itself only says that hey, this guy has these files and here is his IP so you can connect to him. Alone a torrent file is nothing. This is where torrent trackers come in. Trackers take torrent files that you upload to them and allow other users to download the torrent file. There program says Ok, this guy has 10 mpegs at this IP address, Let's connect to him and begin downloading.

It is much more complex than that though. Not only does your torrent program take and keep what you download, but it shares the files as it is downloading. It downloads files as pieces before assembling them into one whole file. Think of it as kinda like .001 files as an example. It allows the programs to share pieces that make up the whole file in order to distribute the file quicker. You can imagine how if 100 people downloaded a torrent file these files would get uploaded really fast.

The advantage is, that the users take on the bandwidth and the server only takes on the load of serving torrent files (Which are really, really, really small little files that only point to other people who have said files) And it also makes it harder for copyright holders to legally pursue you as your server does not host the files themselves, instead it only holds the torrents that point to the users who have the files (Kinda like how google doesn't host all the bad stuff you can see on the internet, it simply points to it)

But it gets EVEN deeper. Some bright fellows created this system called torrentbits. It is code written to create communities, it is a system that can tracker users downloaded amounts and uploaded amounts. Because your torrent program also reports to these trackers how much you upload and download. Bittorrent is what we like to call a tit-for-tat system. You give and you take. There exist clients that are designed to break this protocol and only take and not give but other clients in the swarm (Swarm is like the group of people sharing a certain file) Will deny that user because THEY know how much they are receiving from you. Following me?

The list goes on and on.

Facialforum being a tracker/torrent server = bad idea (my $.02) see below. As far as uploading torrents from a public tracker that's kind of a grey area. IF you'd really like to share public torrents just upload them to one of the many free file hosting areas and post a link, maybe we could get a torrent section in the platinum area?

I posted this in another thread but:

"First of I don't think we really have enough "active" members to support a full on torrent community supported here, 99% of the members here are leechers (not a slam or anything that's just the way it is) not to mention the cost of setting up a torrent tracker (we'd need another database server at least). In addition torrent sites/trackers are regularly getting shut down, I don't think it would be worth the risk, we've got a nice little community here I'd hate to see go away.

For those that don't know this is already about the 3rd or 4th incarnation of this site over the last several years and we've been through tons of trouble and had to shut down several times. (mostly at a different domain, but the remnants of those people are what started this site)

Not to mention there's already tons of really good torrent tracker sites out there with tons of facial/bukkake content.

If you wanted to share a torrent you could always just upload the torrent to something like megaupload and post a link! Just make sure its from a public tracker so everyone can share!

Feel free to PM me if you need any help w/your torrents or anything

casvdry

So possibly limit the free section to torrents only? I think it is a real downer that people who are leeching the free area are getting a free ride. Not to mention the strain which may be put on the server, I can only imagine.

Expert

Quote Originally Posted by nopity4u View Post
    So possibly limit the free section to torrents only? I think it is a real downer that people who are leeching the free area are getting a free ride. Not to mention the strain which may be put on the server, I can only imagine.
    We can't set up the torrent tracker here nor are outside links allowed in the free section, so i doubt this could ever work....

He Who Kicks The Server facialadmin's Avatar

ok, this is the thing, non plats have no access to our 300gb+ of vids, they only have access to pics in the free section which probably account for less than 2gig.

we prune the free section about once a month, its true that most free section users will never upgrade to plat, but i think they are a big part of the community, now i seperate the content from the community...

and believe the majority of active user's are here to share not only content but comments.

i honestly do not believe a torrent system would not be apropriate for FF.

FA
    Find out how to become a FF Platinum member