Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is comcast fucking with me?

Default Is comcast fucking with me?

Has anyone else in the US on Comcast noticed a marked decrease in download speed? After joining Platinum and starting to do quite a few HJ splits, it seems like formerly 1 minute downloads now are jumping up to 8-9 minutes long. I called Comcast support and they denied it but something must be going on. Anyone else?

Is it just at the forum or are you slow wherever you go?

Not a PLATINUM MEMBER yet? Click HERE to join.
    My Retro Thread http://www.facialforum.net/showthread.php?t=26550

Virgin

Default comcast

here in Canada there has been some controversy over internet providers "throttling" or "traffic shaping" to limit heavy users during peak periods. some people are suing them to say they aren't delivering the unlimited service they paid for, while the telecoms are going to the supreme court for the right to do that "for the good of the other customers," claiming that hogs are slowing traffic for everyone else.

all to say, it's worth keeping an eye on your situation, and on comcast!!

personally I think the IPs should invest in more bandwidth instead of trying to limit services. they'd have to do that anyway if they want to keep adding subscribers. if it's true that they just can't deal with heavy uploaders and downloaders, then I doubt we'll see streaming HD on the web in our lifetimes ...

Beginner

I am so glad I saw this post...I have had trouble with comcast for the past 4-6 months or longer where my speeds are NOWHERE near what they used to be. I also have alot of outages...at least 2-4 times per week where my service will cut out completely for hours at a time. I called them and they said that they would "check my signal"...they said they didn't notice anything wrong. I checked all my connections and replaced cables, etc. Comcast sucks.

Virgin

Quote Originally Posted by knoxlumber View Post
    Has anyone else in the US on Comcast noticed a marked decrease in download speed? After joining Platinum and starting to do quite a few HJ splits, it seems like formerly 1 minute downloads now are jumping up to 8-9 minutes long. I called Comcast support and they denied it but something must be going on. Anyone else?
    I have heard the story of "shaping" being performed by AT&T/Comcast in the states. It may also be related to dynamic routing which could certainly slow things down. If you can track the path to the server (tracert) you should be able to see where your hops are the poorest.

Virgin

I'll tell you, I was just going to ask really about the FF downloads.

When I first joined, I was able to download two files at a time only...and right now I can only download ONE.

That seems to be an FF limitation, as I do not have that same limitation with other sites.

Beyond that, I have had Comcast issues in the last week...from no connectivity to decreased. I do have their "top" service (Boost), and have got 25-30MB download but still around 1.5-2.0MB upload. Tested it just now and only got 13MB download and 1.6MB upload.

I am using Speedtest.net and testing against a local node.

Does anyone know if there is a download limit to FF? If anything I've noticed my download speeds here at FF have gone down, not necessarily other sites. Anyone else having the same issues?

Addendum:

My traceroute shows the slowdown is going overseas...obviously. Didn't realize FF was based over in NL.
    16 22 ms 21 ms 25 ms so-1-0-0.mpr1.dca2.us.above.net [64.125.28.125]
    17 89 ms 90 ms 90 ms so-0-1-0.mpr1.lhr2.uk.above.net [64.125.27.58]
    18 300 ms 311 ms 302 ms so-1-0-0.mpr2.ams5.nl.above.net [64.125.27.178]
    19 290 ms 303 ms 302 ms ten-gige-1-1.mpr2.ams2.nl.above.net [64.125.26.77]
    20 313 ms 318 ms 315 ms 82.98.235.93

But does anyone have the same ONE or TWO file download limitation?
    Last edited by XstatiK; 05-27-2008 at 01:38 AM.

The forum is in the middle of switching to a new server, everyone should be slow right about now. When the switch is complete you should all notice it. BTW I was never able to download more than 1 file at a time. The forum does not limit downloads, let me make that clear.

Oh and one good thing you might not notice Xstatic, uploading vids is actually pretty fast right now

The Shape

Virgin

Shape, I know I'm a leecher, but I'm paying to leech

And why is there a 1 download limit for you? If not the forum, what is the limiter?

Where is it coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by XstatiK View Post
    Shape, I know I'm a leecher, but I'm paying to leech

And why is there a 1 download limit for you? If not the forum, what is the limiter?

Where is it coming from?
    Yeah X, I see your point. Just so you know, I pay too. I won't pretend that I know the technical side of it, but it's not the forum that limits people. I think it is an individuals ISP, and location and computer and so forth. And to clarify, I can download 2 at a time, which I normally do in an HJ split post. I was thinking of uploading when I said 1 at a time.

Of course I do download here, but I upload much more and that is why I wasn't thinking it through when I posted my reply.

Anyhow, I am sure this slow speed situation will be rectified soon.

The Shape

The Land of the Free and the Home of Bukkake.

Default Of course they are...

A few weeks ago I started a topic called Comcast Sucks. This type of situation is exactly why. Their service...or rather the lack thereof is the worst I have ever experienced.

Last week I went 5 consecutive days without connectivity. After days of complaining I received a one time $20 credit. Sound good? Well it might be if the problem had been resolved. The idiot technician they sent out couldn't determine what the problem was. And lo and behold a few days later my service came back on. Then it went back out. Then it came back on. I even talked to a Comcast Regional Service manager aboiut the problem who admitted they don't know what the error messsages they are receiving from the computers of the people with problems mean.

This commectivity issue has been going on for weeks and it isn't the first time. Last year during the summer I routinely lost connectivity almost everyday between the hours of 10AM and 3PM. Comcast said they couldn't figure that problem out either. But I always belived they were limiting the service.

The short of it is they just plain suck as an ISP.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast