Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is comcast fucking with me?

if you can get verizon fios. it blows comcast out of the water, i used to have comcast. and ive only had 1 problem with my internet in almost a year. download/upload speeds are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyarschloch View Post
    I have heard the story of "shaping" being performed by AT&T/Comcast in the states. It may also be related to dynamic routing which could certainly slow things down. If you can track the path to the server (tracert) you should be able to see where your hops are the poorest.
    I know for a fact that several cable companies have openly admitted to reducing download speeds on heavy users in order to increase bandwidth for everyone else...it wasn't a problem several years ago when there were fewer users and less content on the web...but the up tick in broadband users, coupled with the download of High Def vids and file sharing has begun to take it's toll on Cable...FIOS is definitely the wave of the future because each person gets their own distinct "channel" if you will and can download as much as they want without hammering the rest of the class...

Virgin

I talk dirty who is that in your avatar?

But yeah...Comcast does suck. I've noticed it at my girlfriends house...terrible speeds.

The Land of the Free and the Home of Bukkake.

Default Michelle!

My avatar is Michelle from Amateur Facials.

Jim

safn1949

I travel for a living and have verizon wireless ,not bad down loads if you are in their rev A area and they have decent coverage.I have always noticed that my download speeds are slower here,they always have been,but I figure it is a bandwidth issue,$$$ = bandwidth.I know FA isn't getting rich doing this,that's why I signed up for short term platinum twice to add a few bucks before getting the 6 month deal.All you guys in the free section sign up,it's cheap as hell and great content.

Default Comcast totally sucks!!!

I've dibbled and dabbled in several business ventures and while in college I started a business contracting to cable, telephone and satellite television companies. By far Comcast is the worst of the lot! I recently had a customer move offices where Comcast was the only internet provider for the building. My company wired the entire building, set up all the equipment and now almost 6 mos later I am still waiting for the jackasses to get off the duff and cut two taps, pull less than 100' of hard line in a conduit that has a large pull rope already in it and do you think they'd get off the those large cream filled asses of thiers? HELL NO!!! Comcast engineering TOTALLY sucks!!!!

casvdry

Keep in mind that this server is located outside the United States. While you can get some decent speeds overseas through downloads it is to be expected to not reach your full capacity when pulling files on distant servers. Though typically only latency is the major issue, it still can be a major factor in decreased speeds.

That's not to say that the reason why you're experiencing slower downloads is because of downloading from a server overseas. Especially in the cases where you've downloaded at a higher speed before. Things like downloading at offpeak times (Which can actually be peak time overseas) would help.

If you use a download manager you can try to download through 2-3 chunks, but I don't advise going much higher as it further stresses the server. For example, if I download a file through a single connection I only get about 200 kbps out of my connections possible 1000 kbps. Through a download manager and using a few connections I can have that same file download through 3 chunks for a maintained speed of 600kbps.

For users on Comcast, your issues are quite possibly isolated and not connected at all. Though it's rare, you may want to ensure that no one is leeching your bandwidth through a left open router or a trojan horse. Check your upstream and downstream signal to noise ratios to make sure they're at appropriate levels. If not, you need to call Comcast.

If you need more help, just ask.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12