Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: format and reinstall

safn1949

Question format and reinstall

Ok,here's the deal.I have an old windows ME machine that I have done a quick format with the intent of putting XP back on it.It will be used as a server to play avi files on a flatscreen.The problem is apparently it won't boot from the cd first,something I should have checked first,and I can't get the cd drive to run to install XP.So I'm fucked as it stands....so how do I get around this dilemma?

I guess the obvious questions to ask being an old IT support guy:

- it doesn't run? Describe more please! does it sit there trying to load, does it give an error, what?
    - BIOS is set to boot from CD, right?
    - the disk isn't FUBAR'd?
    - the HDD isn't FUBAR'd?

I would try the bios and change the boot order over so it boots from the cd,had to do that the other day when i wanted to run the xp repair tool.

Not a PLATINUM MEMBER? Click HERE to join.

Want to verify correctly,click
    HERE

Please take a look at our rules
    HERE Cant get HJsplit to work,please look HERE

safn1949

There in lies the problem,how do I access the bios after doing a quick format of the harddrive?I am starting the computer from a boot floppy.It apparently is not set to boot from cd.It will start and drop me in ms dos.

What type of machine is it?

You probably have to hold one of these keys down relative shortly after you turn the power on
    ESC
    F1
    F12
    DEL
    before it starts accessing any drives...

If you are lucky the key or key-combination will stand shortly of the first screen you'll see..

Not a Platinum member yet? Click HERE to join! Why not sign up? It's worth it...
    Not a member at "The Facial Archive" yet? Click HERE to see more! Why not sign up? It's worth it...
    Need a Pictorial Guide on How to Verify? Then click HERE!
    Our rules can be found HERE!
    And the "Do not post content from..." can be found HERE!

Now thats something i havnt done for years,removed mine when i built this one.

Well i think the principle is still the same,click delete or the button you usually use to enter your bios,then change the startup order,put your disc into your pc and startup the pc again,you could try pressing the letter R as the pc starts up too,this will activate the recovery part of the xp cd and you can then format the pc from there.

Hope this hepls mate.

Not a PLATINUM MEMBER? Click HERE to join.

Want to verify correctly,click
    HERE

Please take a look at our rules
    HERE Cant get HJsplit to work,please look HERE

safn1949

It's an old HP with windows ME,I don't have the recovery disk for XP,but ,we have one from another XP machine in the house,also an HP.I have a full install disc of XP I am trying to use.I might have the ME recovery disc as my girlfriend saves everything soooo,maybe I could recover ME and then change the bios......I needed a challenge anyway.

Allrighty...

HP usually use these early in the boot (start-up) sequence:

ESC = Boot Menu
    Here you can choose between floppy, harddisc, or CD (on time chose).

F1 = BIOS Setup Menu
    Change top menu to "Boot" and the it should be possible to change boot-sequence to be the same every time.

F10 = Recovery Menu
    Have not tried this one, but guess that it starts on a small partition and asks for a specific CD (probably Windows ME CD).

Not a Platinum member yet? Click HERE to join! Why not sign up? It's worth it...
    Not a member at "The Facial Archive" yet? Click HERE to see more! Why not sign up? It's worth it...

safn1949

Ok,if I hit esc I end up in bios and go to boot ,move the CD drive to the top of the list ,save and escape.It will boot up to invalid disc,if I use the ME boot up floppy it will go to ME startup and then to a command prompt screen,I can change the prompt to the CD drive but what command do I type to make the install disk run? It is not a recovery disc but a full install disc,do I need to do a full format instead of the quick format I did? If so ,how?

I forgot all of this years ago.

Does the full XP CD fail, when you have it in the CD drive on boot???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast