Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: format and reinstall

safn1949

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
    Does the full XP CD fail, when you have it in the CD drive on boot???
    yes,but it's not a ..ahem...factory copy.

I have to go to work (fuck me) so I will be back later,thanks for all of the help so far.

I guess that the CD is not boot-able

Not a Platinum member yet? Click HERE to join! Why not sign up? It's worth it...
    Not a member at "The Facial Archive" yet? Click HERE to see more! Why not sign up? It's worth it...
    Need a Pictorial Guide on How to Verify? Then click HERE!
    Our rules can be found HERE!
    And the "Do not post content from..." can be found HERE!

safn1949

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
    I guess that the CD is not boot-able
    I have 3 different ones to try when I get back home.Will it make any difference that I only did a quick format and not a full format? Because it will only boot on the ME boot floppy.

Quote Originally Posted by safn1949 View Post
    I have 3 different ones to try when I get back home.Will it make any difference that I only did a quick format and not a full format? Because it will only boot on the ME boot floppy.
    Nope - the full XP install CD has options to delete/create/format partitions on discs.

Not a Platinum member yet? Click HERE to join! Why not sign up? It's worth it...
    Not a member at "The Facial Archive" yet? Click HERE to see more! Why not sign up? It's worth it...

safn1949

So what am I doing wrong? And I know I am,I forgot how to do this years ago.

After a quick format you only removed some diskinfo in the disk content table. With a full format all files are removed. For an installation there is no different.
    XP boot disks you can find here : support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

Did your PC boot from CD or not? If it boot from CD you don't need no boot disks.

So what am I doing wrong? And I know I am,I forgot how to do this years ago.
    If you have changed the BIOS correctly and saved your changes, it should work with booting on the CD - a little weird

The boot discs from MS is an alternative when you can't get the CD-boot to work.

safn1949

I can't get it to boot from the CD I have,I changed the bios and moved the CD drive to the top,but no luck.If I try to boot with just the CD I get the invalid disc message and have to boot from the ME boot floppy which puts me in a command prompt window.Can I type a command to run the CD and if so,what.

I have 2 other CD's I can try when I get home ,but none of them are factory.

I can't get it to boot from the CD I have,I changed the bios and moved the CD drive to the top,but no luck.If I try to boot with just the CD I get the invalid disc message and have to boot from the ME boot floppy which puts me in a command prompt window.Can I type a command to run the CD and if so,what.
    May be try on the command prompt D:\setup.exe (assuming your CD-drive is the D-drive)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast