Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISP's for wireless service on a laptop

Default ISP's for wireless service on a laptop

Suggestions? A friend recently bought a laptop and tried to go through AT&T and was told it's like 60 dollars a month. I don't know anything about wireless and don't have a laptop. Is that the going rate?

Thanks in advance

The Shape

Not a PLATINUM MEMBER yet? Click HERE to join.
    My Retro Thread http://www.facialforum.net/showthread.php?t=26550

Where do you want to use wireless ? Only around the house or everywhere you are ? Around the house only a wireless network is necessary.
    And you can use WiFi at a lot of spaces. rates differ from place to place.

They want to be able to use it pretty much anywhere. I just am not familiar with how many different companies offer Wireless or Wi Fi service. AT&T is telling her that it's 60 bucks a month for the service. She is wondering if there is a cheaper option or company to go with.

Thumbs up

Dunno what the going rate over in the US is but as far as wireless connections are concerned, all you need is any old ISP to connect to the net. If your friend is already with an ISP there really isn't any need to switch.

The wireless connection is made through a wireless router which in turn communicates with your ISP. As long as your friends laptop has built in wireless facilities, (and lets face it most of them do), all he needs to do is ditch his modem and get himself a wireless router then set up a home network.
    It sounds complicated but really most new wireless routers are quite easily set up

makes sense. The thing is that they are keeping their desktop pc active, they aren't trading a pc for a laptop, they want service on both. Also want to be able to travel around with the laptop and I guess that is where the montly fee comes in, but they were just wondering if their is a cheaper service than the 60 per month that their current ISP wants to charge. They have AT&T DSL right now and are paying about 25 bucks per month.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    makes sense. The thing is that they are keeping their desktop pc active, they aren't trading a pc for a laptop, they want service on both. Also want to be able to travel around with the laptop and I guess that is where the montly fee comes in, but they were just wondering if their is a cheaper service than the 60 per month that their current ISP wants to charge. They have AT&T DSL right now and are paying about 25 bucks per month.
    They can still have their desktop connected to the router, any good router has ethernet connections where they can plug their desk top into as well as the wireless option.
    My desktop upstairs is connected with a cable, while I am at present lying on the couch using the wireless option on my laptop.
    As for a roaming service, I aint too sure of that one mate, anytime I had cause to use my laptop before in was in a hotel a year or so ago and it wasn't by a wireless connection.
    Last edited by alkie; 06-08-2009 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alkie View Post
    They can still have their desktop connected to the router, any good router has ethernet connections where they can plug their desk top into as well as the wireless option.
    My desktop upstairs is connected with a cable, while I am at present lying on the couch using the wireless option on my laptop.
    Right, I should have been more clear, they already have the laptop plugged into the ethernet, both computers are online, the thing is Al, can you take your laptop out of the house and drive a couple of miles away and still be online? They are telling her $100 to set it up for wireless and then an additional $60 per month to be able to leave the home and still have service on the laptop.

Virgin

Yeah, what you are talking about is a 3G/GSM modem and a sim-card for it. It basicly works as a cell phone only it transfer data and connect to your USB port. It has nothing to do with a wireless network. Most stores that sells mobile phones should have this solution for you. Work everywhere were a cellphone works.

EDIT: 60 dollars sounds very expensive. Try other ISP and stores that sell mobile phones.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by godseye View Post
    Yeah, what you are talking about is a 3G/GSM modem and a sim-card for it. It basicly works as a cell phone only it transfer data and connect to your USB port. It has nothing to do with a wireless network. Most stores that sells mobile phones should have this solution for you. Work everywhere were a cellphone works.

EDIT: 60 dollars sounds very expensive. Try other ISP and stores that sell mobile phones.
    Well you guys are lucky coz going down the 3G/GSM road would cost a f@@king fortune over here, that really wouldn't be an option in the UK unless you had money to burn, or the company you work with supplies it

safn1949

$60 a month is about right,that's what I pay and the going rate for Verizon and Sprint.And it sucks if you download a lot,after 5 gigs they will automatically dial your speed back to just above dialup.About 25kb second download after 5 gigs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast