Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Rip DVD's Using DVD Shrink

Question How To Rip DVD's Using DVD Shrink

I thought I would stick this up as I have been recently asked about it.
    There are many apps that can rip DVD's and you probably all have you favourites but I like to use DVD Shrink as it can do much more than just rip DVD's.
    First get the app from here:

http://www.facialforum.net/showthread.php?t=25266

Now here comes the technical part

Don't be put off as I have tried to make a really very simple operation totally foolproof and as this tutorial is really for a total beginner I probably have over done all the screens and descriptions for you experienced guys so please bear with me, it looks complicated but really its a piece of piss!!
    Last edited by alkie; 06-20-2009 at 12:50 PM.

Right here we go, once you have installed the app open it and you will be looking at this:

Insert your DVD, wait for it to load (if you have your drive set to autorun close your player down when the disc starts playing) and then...

click on the open disc tab
    Last edited by alkie; 06-20-2009 at 12:54 PM.

Now you should be looking at this:

Click ok then this should start the analyzing stage of the process and you should see this:

Once this has completed you will be faced with this screen:

At this point if you wanted to copy this DVD onto a blank you would use the Full Disc tab but in this case all we want are the juicy bits so the re author facility will allow us to pick and choose which pieces of the DVD we want to rip, so...
    Last edited by safn1949; 07-22-2010 at 11:36 PM.

...You want to select this by clicking on the reauthor button as you don't want to rip any unnecessary crap like titles and such from the DVD:

Now you should be looking at this:

As you can see the right hand pane has split it down a little clearer and really all you want are the movie files, a good way to judge is by looking at the times to ensure these are the files you want or if you are unsure you can always play them in the player in the bottom left of the page by dragging and dropping the file into the left pane marked DVD Structure.
    Last edited by alkie; 06-20-2009 at 01:02 PM.

When you have selected your files just drag and drop them into the left hand pane:

And it should look like this now:

Now we are almost ready to rumble

Click on the back up tab here:

and this screen will appear:

Ensure that the back up target window is set to hard disk folder, click on the browse button and make a folder if you need to like this:

Last edited by alkie; 06-20-2009 at 12:27 PM.

Still with me?
    On the home straight now lol
    Once you have set your target folder for saving the DVD the screen should look like this now:

If it is then click on ok and the ripping process will begin and you should see this screen:

Don't be alarmed at the initial time it might say it is going to take at first as this is not real time it really is quite a quick file ripper!! Like everything else it depends on your pc resources and processor.

When it has completed ripping your DVD you will get a screen like this one:

Now open the folder you have set up for them and it is the files with the extension .vob you are interested in, if you have trouble playing them rename the extension from .vob to .mpg and they will play in any media player.

From here on in you are on your own, you can re-encode or edit them with your favourite application to make them more upload friendly.
    Last edited by alkie; 06-21-2009 at 01:23 AM.

Thumbs up

Remember this is just one of the many things DVD Shrink can do, it is used mainly for compressing retail DVD's onto blanc discs.
    There is also an editing feature in there and overall I prefer it over most others out there as it allows me to set my own parameters rather than being forced to accept a default setting.

I hope this will be of help guys.
    Have fun!!

Thank you alkie! Struggling with some rip apps before. And there it is, all the help I need for this. Great job mate, nice piece of work, simple and complete.

Expert

Thumbs up

Cheers Alkie!
    Handy little turtorial for everyone here

Thanks for that!

9Inch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast