Thread: WinRar User Guide

Thumbs up WinRar User Guide

For those of you who still dislike using HJSplit or FSJ then there is another way of both uploading and downloading larger clip that you might find easier to use:

WinRar
    This can be used to download and upload .rar files in here and I have noticed that there are one or two around and in case this catches on, this is a quick "How To" to download and join .rar files.

First, download winrar, (google it, it is free) and install it on your pc (ensuring that the "shell integration" boxes are ticked, see pic below)

Secondly, As you would normally do, download all the .rar files that make up your particular clip and ensure they are all in the same folder on your pc

Thirdly, right click on the first .rar file and in the drop down box under winrar chose the option "extract here"

Lastly, let it do its stuff, (no need to click on any other .rar file as the program will recognise that the other .rar files are present and will extract them without any input from you), once it finishes you will find the complete film joined ready to watch.

It really is as simple as that guys!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by alkie; 05-25-2010 at 03:55 PM.

Thanks for explanation, Alkie.
    I'm one of the poster who uses winrar instead of HJSplit.

I do it for several reasons.

From the poster point of view:
    1) I just need to right click the file I want to split and choose "Add to archive..." - Then I enter the size of desired segment and click OK.
    2) A little compression speed up (not too much) the upload time
    3) No need to rename segments > 15: all segments are .rar

From the downloader point of view:
    1) No need to deal with file extensions (hide, show, change, etc.)
    2) Just right click on a segment and choose "Extract here" to have the clip ready
    3) No problems if you forget to download a segment: winrar will warn you about the mistake and you'll be able to download the missing part (with HJSplit there is no warning and you obtain a corrupted file)
    4) Winrar tells you if some segments are damaged during download
    5) No need to rename files > 15

HJSplit is simpy and useful but winrar is more user friendly and easy to use.

Thanks again !

safn1949

After a certain period of time with winrar if you click directly on the file to open it,a box will pop up telling you to pay for the program.

Close and ignore it (I think it's after 40 days).If you right click,extract here it won't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by safn1949 View Post
    After a certain period of time with winrar if you click directly on the file to open it,a box will pop up telling you to pay for the program.

Close and ignore it (I think it's after 40 days).If you right click,extract here it won't do that.
    Your are correct mate it is a free trial license but after that set time, it is only a nag notice and you can continue to fully use it.