Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mac questions

Virgin

Quote Originally Posted by gloryholeprincess View Post
    "That is a great reason to get a Mac. Definitely!!
    Piper

I personally never have been a big MAC fan, especially since their chip set is more or less the same than in normal PC now and that you can work windows 7 on your MAC or Mac OS on your PC, still a edge to edit video but overall, compatibility wise, I prefer a good windows 7 or linux

Quote Originally Posted by darkwhisperer View Post
    I personally never have been a big MAC fan, especially since their chip set is more or less the same than in normal PC now and that you can work windows 7 on your MAC or Mac OS on your PC, still a edge to edit video but overall, compatibility wise, I prefer a good windows 7 or linux
    I wish I know how to use Linux. I've heard it's much more fluid, in terms of multiple program display, than Macs.

FYI http://www.facialforum.net/showthread.php?t=24151

There is a free software that enables you to edit WMV files on your Mac.

YIR! I got my Mac yesterday, and so far things are running really smoothe

Thx for all the advice

Default Joining files

Fastest and best way to join split files:

Open Terminal.app (Utilities)
    Type "cat" and a space, and just start dragging in videos from the Finder. Start with split nr. 1 first.. then nr. 2 and so on. When all files have been dragged in, type "> Videoname.wmv".

Example:

I'm now going to join these three files:
    WB_55.wmv.001.mpg
    WB_55.wmv.002.mpg
    WB_55.wmv.003.mpg

This is how it should look before hitting enter: http://i.imgur.com/bnXGt.png

The new filename of the video you can choose for yourself, but the extension (filetype) should be the first mentioned filename in the original files: WB_55.wmv.003.mpg

Once you get the hang of this, it's way faster than using file joining apps.
    And, when you do it like this, the outputted file is stored under /User/..
    So to have all joined videos stored in your Downloads, just type "cd ~/Downloads" before beginning to join the files.

Happy joining! :-)
    Last edited by kadavra; 07-28-2012 at 02:53 AM.

Been using my Mac for a few days now - and I'm still happy about it. But now another question springs to mind.

On my old PC I had a lot of you fine pervs on my yahoo chat list

Will Yahoo messenger work on Mac or what is recomended if I wanna keep in touch with you fine pervs?

Once you go Mac you never go back.

I work with Windows, Macs and Linux, each has their strengths and weaknesses. I have my own personal preference but honestly what's one mans pleasure is another mans poison.

Enjoy your MBP but do invest in the extended Applecare. Any laptop is more vulnerable to heat and drive related problems, I've never regretted extending a warranty on a laptop.

In addition to the software others have suggested you may want VLC, it plays more formats than Quicktime or WMP.

Quote Originally Posted by kadavra View Post
    Fastest and best way to join split files:

Open Terminal.app (Utilities)
    Type "cat" and a space, and just start dragging in videos from the Finder. Start with split nr. 1 first.. then nr. 2 and so on. When all files have been dragged in, type "> Videoname.avi"

Example:

I'm now going to join these three files:
    WB_55.wmv.001.mpg
    WB_55.wmv.002.mpg
    WB_55.wmv.003.mpg

This is how it should look before hitting enter: http://and.rs/74jg

The new filename of the video you can choose for yourself, but the extension should be the first filename in the original file: WB_55.wmv.003.mpg

Once you get the hang of this, it's way faster than using file joining apps.
    And, when you do it like this, the outputted file is stored under /User/..
    So to have all joined videos stored in your Downloads, just type "cd ~/Downloads" before beginning to join the files.

Happy joining! :-)
    Interesting way of joining files. I prefer to use an application rather then this method primarily because it's faster for me than manually typing/click/dragging files. However, I am curious if this method allows the output file to have any extension. For example creating a MPG video from a WMV video format. Do you still need Flip4Mac installed?

Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    Been using my Mac for a few days now - and I'm still happy about it. But now another question springs to mind.

On my old PC I had a lot of you fine pervs on my yahoo chat list

Will Yahoo messenger work on Mac or what is recomended if I wanna keep in touch with you fine pervs?
    Yahoo Messenger is also available for Macs. Avast is another messenger program that allows you to integrate different types of chat programs like MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger. I recommend using Yahoo Messenger because transferring files is faster than Avast.

Quote Originally Posted by prrp55 View Post
    Once you go Mac you never go back.

Not necessarily. I still use my Windows computers. In fact, I have XP Pro installed on my Mac Book Pro. I need both operating systems for utilizing different programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty Jizzman View Post
    I work with Windows, Macs and Linux, each has their strengths and weaknesses. I have my own personal preference but honestly what's one mans pleasure is another mans poison.

Enjoy your MBP but do invest in the extended Applecare. Any laptop is more vulnerable to heat and drive related problems, I've never regretted extending a warranty on a laptop.

In addition to the software others have suggested you may want VLC, it plays more formats than Quicktime or WMP.
    I agree with you about each platforms having strengths and weakness. I wish I could afford the Applecare. The laptop itself was already costly. I just take care of the machine the best I can; that includes using external fans to keep it cool. I have had some issues with files that required using the installation disc but nothing major occurred thank goodness. One thing did shock me was when my screen kept blinking the page I was looking at in the forum. The computer froze for some reason. Very odd. I have no idea what the cause of the problem was. The machine is still running well so far (knock on wood).

Thx Beat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast