Thread: Windows XP Taskbar Question...

Bobby Coke

Default Windows XP Taskbar Question...

Hey,

Just a quick question that hopefully someone might know the answer too. Google is proving unsuccessful for this one.

You know when you have too many tabs open in the taskbar and the tabs group together like in the picture below - all the Firefox tabs go into one single Firefox tab that you can click into.

What I'm wondering is, is there a way to do this to tabs without having to open too many of them and forcing this to happen? I have things streaming on Google Chrome on another monitor and this leaves three Chrome tabs in my taskbar. I'd like to be able to join them together as one tab to free up some space.

Thanks for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

* Verified Member *

I do not have an xp computer handy but know i have done this before on an xp...on my windows 7 there is a 'always group' box to check. right click the taskbar and click properties and see what you can find? i'm positive theres a way...

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Coke View Post
    Hey,

Just a quick question that hopefully someone might know the answer too. Google is proving unsuccessful for this one.

You know when you have too many tabs open in the taskbar and the tabs group together like in the picture below - all the Firefox tabs go into one single Firefox tab that you can click into.

What I'm wondering is, is there a way to do this to tabs without having to open too many of them and forcing this to happen? I have things streaming on Google Chrome on another monitor and this leaves three Chrome tabs in my taskbar. I'd like to be able to join them together as one tab to free up some space.

Thanks for any help.
    Sorry, nothing built into XP to do that. At least not that I know of... I did find a reg key hack that could work for you. I haven't tried it so use at your own risk... Hope it helps!

pm sent with link
    Last edited by AX; 04-02-2011 at 05:31 AM.

Bobby Coke

Default Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by bucsrule67 View Post
    I do not have an xp computer handy but know i have done this before on an xp...on my windows 7 there is a 'always group' box to check. right click the taskbar and click properties and see what you can find? i'm positive theres a way...
    The always group function only kicks in when the taskbar is full, there's no way to just select certain tabs and group them together. Thanks for the help though.

Quote Originally Posted by AX View Post
    Sorry, nothing built into XP to do that. At least not that I know of... I did find a reg key hack that could work for you. I haven't tried it so use at your own risk... Hope it helps!

pm sent with link
    Many thanks for the link AX.

I'm a bit scared to touch the registry as I don't really know what I'm doing, but from the link you sent me I found in the comments section that the 'TweakUI PowerToy' from Microsoft gives you lots of options to customise how Windows performs, including the option to group any application tabs with at least 'x' amount of windows open (shown in the picture below)

Using it that way, you can turn that feature on and off when it suits.

Again, thanks for the help. Members here never disappoint.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bobby Coke; 04-02-2011 at 10:09 AM.