Thread: How to 'rep' other members repeatedly, without the forum preventing you to do so

azriel15

Default How to 'rep' other members repeatedly, without the forum preventing you to do so

I did not confer with the mods before I posted here....

That stated, I have figured out a method that will work with sending 'rep' to fellow members here-as many times as you wish to (within a certain amount per-day).

I have seen many members write to me that they cannot rep me, because the forum will not let them do so.

The Forum here does have a restriction, but it is not based on time, per se. The restriction is based on spreading rep to other members. You cannot just send rep to a member eternally, unless you spread your rep around to others.

For an example....I will choose a very popular thread here, 'great facials' by member x

If you were to send member x rep for one of his posts in this thread-your rep would be received, and he would know that you liked the post (and it should be mentioned that it is always a great idea to actually post a comment regarding the clip that you appreciated in that thread, so that all of the members can see that you gave your approval. It helps keep the good posters to continue posting, as well as casual viewers to see that you liked the good post!).

Alright.

So here is the 'trick'.

If you wanted to rep member x again for one of his posts in the 'great facials' thread, right after you just sent him rep-it is very easy.

Just look' around the Forum....and find a couple of other posts that you like, and then send rep to the posters of those posts that you like.

You only need to do this 3 (Three) times. Once you send rep to three other members for their nice posts that they have uploaded, you can then turn around, and go back to the 'great facials' thread (for the purpose of this example) and send rep to member x for his post that you were originally looking to send him rep for.

This works for every member, mod or admin

The 'rep' system will eventually cut you off (I do not know what number of reps it will cut you off at). However, this technique will allow you to send rep to the same member for multiple posts (and not the same post) from any member here at FF.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
    Last edited by elgrego; 04-21-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Lightbulb

While I understand the reasoning behind this, personally I believe that too much emphasis is placed on gaining rep points by some members in here.

Initially this was only set up as "a bit of fun" it was never intended to be used as some "badge of office" or to create any race or competition between members, this system seems to have caught the imagination of our members perhaps a little more than we originally intended.
    Having said that, I am in no way referring that you may be a member of that camp my friend, this is just a personal observation.

I personally prefer comments in any thread that I post, this shows that my efforts are both appreciated and that it is worthwhile for me to continue posting and expanding on that thread, plus I think it is better for the forum as it recreates interest in a thread that would just fade away if members were unseeingly repping it.

I digress, now to this idea you have to in effect "fudging the system" azriel, it may not be against any rules in here, however I do have certain concerns with it. Searching the rest of the forum to find 3 other posts you can give rep to, which will then enable you to give further rep in succession to the same member, surely doesn't that devalue the system that you seem to cherish so much?

If everyone adopted this disingenuous idea, the next time anyone received rep how could they know that it was actually deserved and they were not just being used as some kind of pawn to promote some other poster?
    The mere fact that members will now be trying to get round the system by using, how shall I put it, "unorthodox" ways, may result in this whole Reputation System being reviewed by the staff in here because as it stands, to my mind, this will render the value of a "true" rep status in here more or less pointless.

Finally, in your opening statement you mentioned that you had not conferred with the staff in here before posting this, perhaps in view of the content of your post, it may have been advisable to do so.
    Last edited by alkie; 04-21-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Lightbulb

Couple of points about the rep system....

First is that you can have a ridiculous amount of them and unlike some cereal there is no prize at the end...

Second is that people who rep you and have a low or zero post count do not affect your overall rep numbers...

Third is that even though some people really like it, there are many that really don't think about it much mainly because of the first 2 points above.

To each their own is what I try my best to go by, however personally I prefer comments so other people can read what is posted and that is better for the forum as opposed to better for a single individual.

Just my 2 cents though.......

Not a PLATINUM MEMBER yet? Click HERE to join.
    My Retro Thread http://www.facialforum.net/showthread.php?t=26550