Thread: Battle of the FILE SPLITTERS!

casvdry

Default Battle of the FILE SPLITTERS!

If you don't know what a file splitting program is, quit reading now. If you do not know how to change file extensions, quit reading now.

Hey all. We all know that uploading videos is a huge part of this site. We also know that it takes time. Time that could be saved doing other things

Unfortunately, being choosy with which ISP you use may not be possible. So you're stuck with whatever upload speed you have. However, you can certainly choose which file splitting program you use!

So, on with the battle of the File Splitters, DUN DUN DUN

Opponent: Video file weighing in @ 699,467 KB

Contenders:
    • JR File Split (Weight: 168 KB)
    • SplitIt Dispatcher (Weight: 38 KB)
    • WhitSoft File Splitter (Weight: 41 KB)
    • FreeSplit (Weight: 695 KB)
    • Splitter (Weight: 34 KB)
    • HJSplit (Weight: 306 KB)
    • SkarSplit (Weight: 29 KB)
    • TheFileSplitter (Weight: 129 KB)

Results:
    JR File Split: Knockout in > 2:00 (HORRIBLE)
    SplitIt Dispatcher: Knockout in 1:30 (BAD)
    WhitSoft File Splitter: Knockout in 1:10 (BAD)
    FreeSplit: Knockout in 1:04 (AVERAGE)
    Splitter: Knockout in :50 (AVERAGE)
    HJSplit: Knockout in :39 (GOOD)
    SkarSplit: Knockout in :39 (GOOD)
    TheFileSplitter: Knockout in :29 (AWESOME)

Winner by quickest knockout, TheFileSplitter! Simply Amazing! a 700 MB File split in under 30 seconds! Shaving 10 seconds off of programs such as HJSplit.

Honorable Mention: SkarSplit. It's not quite as quick as TheFileSplitter, but it has more features. You can define size profiles that you can name. For example, I can create a profile called Facial Forum and set that to split into 10 MB Chunks. Then just choose the profile on whatever file you want to split. It also can be added to the right-click context menu for ease of use.

Website to TheFileSplitter:
    http://www.geocities.com/m_feriati/
    Last edited by casvdry; 07-07-2007 at 02:19 PM.

Nice little study, one thing though are they all compatible in the same format or does each one use its own format?

If they're not universal please stick w/HJ-Split, that's what several of the active posters are using and alot of our more non-technical users (that's not a slam) have enough trouble with figuring out 1 file splitting/joining program!

If the files are really big I tend to actually split them into smaller videos so if I post a whole scene and people just want the cum part they don't have to grab everything.

Nice work!

I'm on a Mac and the only thing I have is MacHacha which handles several different splitting formats. It splits files very quickly and rejoines them just as well. When I split files to upload here, I choose the HJSplit format for the same reasons Vlad just gave.

casvdry

Yeah I agree. I tried uploading in the format that TheFileSplitter uses (.1 as opposed to .001) Seemed to work. You're definitely right about the tech savvy part. This is for the more savvy There are also no problems if you wish to use this program and join with HJ, you have to rename to .001 as opposed to .1 though.