Thread: Burning music CD's

safn1949

Default Burning music CD's

Ok a stupid question.How come I have a 700MB music CD but can only put 69 MB's on it. Do I need to format somehow or what? I have tried Windows Media player and Toshiba's CD maker and they both do it. Thanks for any help,I am green at this.

JohnLaw

Please explain your problem a little more.

safn1949

Well it's like this,I am trying to copy a bunch of mp3's to a 700MB music CDR. When I open the burn program,either windows media player of Toshiba's disc maker it will only put 79.47mb on the disc. If I switch to record data instead of music the same disc will record 703mb .wtf? I really don't know what I'm doing and don't understand the difference. Thanks for any help.

Its because a CD can only hold a certian amount of minutes of music. 74 or 80 mins depending on CD size, it doesn't save the MP3s directly on to them, it instead converts them to a file that a CD player can read. These files are bigger. But its not about file size when burning a CD its about how long in minutes all the music is.

Hope that clears it up for you

prgivsfacials

Thats right what you were basically doing was to create a cd that would play in a regular cd player. So the burner has to convert the files up to wav file (PCM) format (which gives much larger file sizes in return for the possibility of vastly improved quality), before burning them as cd audio.

The 79.47 Mb of mp3 data would equate to a bit less than 700Mb of wav file data. The next song would push the CD over the size and that why your program wont let you add it.

I'm gathering that what you want to do is create a data disc with all your mp3s on it and it sounds like you already know how to do that.

if I got it right, you or your pc is not doing anything wrong, if you want to copy your files as mp3 (these files are far smaller than others, mostly a tenth of it) you get more files on the cd but it might be possible that you can`t play the cd in all players. I use this method for my player in my car and it works fine, besides I can get up to 80 titles in mp3 on one CD....

safn1949

Yea it won't play in the trucks CD player if I burn it as a data disc,thanks to everyone for the help,that also answers why 2 discs I burned won't play for a friend.