Thread: Vid Translation for Mac?

Default Vid Translation for Mac?

I've been using VisualHub to turn .MOV's into .AVI's or .WMV's, and it usually works great. Unfortunately I notice the picture quality goes down slightly and the image gets a little lighter overall.

Does anyone know of any similar programs for Mac that avoid these issues?

seedpump

Have you tried tampering with VisualHubs's settings?! I bet something can be done there =)

Quote Originally Posted by seedpump View Post
    Have you tried tampering with VisualHubs's settings?! I bet something can be done there =)
    The main setting no matter what the format is basically a slider for "Quality". The second highest is "High", which I use. The highest is "Go Nuts" which creates files way larger than the original and does not seem to increase the quality or stop the color/saturation change.

There is an "Advanced..." button, which helpfully adds "Don't! You'll screw it all up!" You can certainly do a lot of fun stuff in there like cropping and audio volume, but nothing about the image quality.

seedpump

Wish I could be of more help. I run Windows XP under Parallels myself, so I usually do wmv-to-avi conversions there, using MediaCoder.

Quote Originally Posted by seedpump View Post
    Wish I could be of more help. I run Windows XP under Parallels myself, so I usually do wmv-to-avi conversions there, using MediaCoder.

And I guess that works out for you? I have Para/XP too, I was just trying to avoid going into that environment just for a quick video conversion.

seedpump

Works like a charm. Well, that's not entirely true.. But it gets the job done =)

There is Flip4Mac, a plug-in for the Mac Quicktime program that works just great. That is available at flip4mac.com and I use it all the time.

There is also MPEG Streamclip from squared5.com that does a good job and is free. It's available for both Mac and PC.

Carol xoxoxo