Thread: Big pictures resized when uploaded?

Expert

Default Big pictures resized when uploaded?

Hello.

My name is "M" and I have been uploading some pictures of my girlfriend "J" over the last few days. However, all our photos are downsized to a maximal pixel size of 1024 when we do. At the same time I can see that others have posted high resolution photos with success. Some moderators have taken their time and looked into it but I haven't got an answer so far.

Both me and J really, really try to take the best pictures possible with the right light, background and all, so as to give the people at FF the hottest pictures we can deliver. And with the risk of sounding bitter, it has become rather annoying to spend time actually trying to take GOOD pictures as well as sexy and then spending additional time with PS removing noise and such and then having a clear, sharp 3000+ photo resized to 1/3 of the original. So what we would like to know is the following:

1, Is the size limit due to us posting in the free section? (Unlikely as others are posting larger pictures in those forums)

2, Is the size limit due to us not being platinum members? (Unlikely since other non-platinum members can post larger pictures)

3, Is the size limit due to how long you have been posting, or how many pictures you have posted? I.e. if we have posted 100 photos, the limit is removed?

4, Is the size limit something that administrators can remove if asked kindly? If such being the case; please?!

So, the question once again. Why can't we upload our original, high-resolution pictures when others seem able to? Please let us know because to be honest, we think that our pictures become so much worse in this small format that we aren't very keen on posting more. At least not here on FF, which is a shame due to the very warm welcome that we, and J in particular, have received.

Eagerly waiting for a response.

M.

I'm not sure if this will be any help but I assume the reason why you can't post large images is due to the file sizes being too large.

if you were to use a tool such as this one

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...schelman2.mspx

then you will be able to resize the file sizes, not image sizes and therefore (hopefully) upload larger image sizes.

I've been using this tool for a while and can say that there's little to no compromise in image quality...

I hope this helps.

Expert

Thank you very much. I will look into this, but if I have understood things correctly it is not the actual size of the file that is being on issue (but on the other hand I am known to be wrong quite often), but rather there is a limit on the pixel size itself. In the "manage attachments" box it simply says that we are limited to 1024, even though moderators have told us that we should be ok for at least 2000+. But as I said, I will look into it. But before I start changing all our pictures I will wait for an admin to get back to me.

M.

Hi there dude, trust your well.

Ive received clarity now from FA on the whys & where of the pic size caps, as outlined below.

There are two resitrictions / categories associated with file sizes of pics.

All 'free' account holders that share pics in the 'free' section are limited to a file size of 1024 x 1200.

All 'platinum' account holders that share pics in the 'free' & platinum' sections are limited to a file size of 2600 x 2600.

So, the only way to remove the 1024 x 1200 restriction would be to upgrade to platinum status.

Judging by the contibutons youve made to the September 2008 competition, there will surely be a free membership upgrade coming your way once the voting has finished, so if I were you I'd sight tight until the competition has closed.

That said, you could always upgrade to platinum access.....

I hope the above is of some assistance. If you need any further clarity, just ask.

Bye for now

Val

Even in the Platinum section, I only upload images at no bigger than 1024px wide. The vast majority of Internet users have their browsers set at 1024X768, so anything larger is really just a waste of file size. Of course, some people want to be able to "zoom in" on the good parts

As a webmaster, I am always thinking of file size and server storage, even on someone else's website.

Carol xoxoxo

Expert

I guess we have to wait a while before posting our bigger pictures then. Thank you for looking it up Valenuk1 (although it still makes me wonder why for example Gumsel's newbienudes thread can post the original sized pictures while not being a platinum member, but on the other side, good for him. It is a nice thread and deserves the larger format).

Let me see if "J", the little perfectionist that she is, can live with posting smaller versions of our work until then. Once again, thanks.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Michael.M View Post
    Thank you for looking it up Valenuk1 (although it still makes me wonder why for example Gumsel's newbienudes thread can post the original sized pictures while not being a platinum member, but on the other side, good for him. It is a nice thread and deserves the larger format)....
    Hi there dude

The reason why in this particular instance Gumsel has been able to upload hi-rez pics was that at the time of uploading Gumsel was a plainium account holder. As it transpires now, his platinum account has expired, hence he's back to the free account status now

Val
    Last edited by valenuk1; 09-17-2008 at 06:25 AM.

Expert

Ah! Mystery solved then.