Thread: Video editting software --> AVI format

Expert

Default Video editting software --> AVI format

Hi all
    I use Windows Movie Maker for editting the good parts of movies into little clips. But WMM can only write in WMV format.
    Does anyone know of a quick and clean video editting program that can output into AVI?
    See attached as a sample of what I'm talking about. I think an AVI version of this splice would be much smaller.
    Thanks for any ideas

S19
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thumbs up

There are quite a few out there mate but unless you know your way around the torrent sites, none of them are free.

Oh, there is one, I use, it's called Avidemux2 it's free, rather basic but might do the job.

safn1949

Sent you a pm.

winavi...quickly converts all formats.. just send me a pm if you want to try it!

The AVI version of that video would be much larger than what you have now. The WMV is a more compressed, web-friendly version which is why it is commonly used. Video editors really only use AVI's as the raw footage for editing, and then will compress the final out put in a WMV format for Internet use.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolCox View Post
    The AVI version of that video would be much larger than what you have now. The WMV is a more compressed, web-friendly version which is why it is commonly used. Video editors really only use AVI's as the raw footage for editing, and then will compress the final out put in a WMV format for Internet use.

nooo..thats just the name of the program. it converts to anything you want and its as simple as anything can get! thats why i recommend it to people that dont do a lot of movies

Expert

here is a very easy software to encode/recode movie
    http: // www. erightsoft.com/ SUPER.html ( just remove space to get the link )

You could try format factory, its a free app that can convert video files into just about any other format you need, including avi. Just go to www. formatoz .com.(Remove spaces in the link) Its not a professional tool, but it works for quick conversions. The output quality of the conversions is surprisingly good for a free app.

Edit** heres 2 conversions I made of this file with format factory, both were larger than the original, especially the avi version.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JarM; 03-01-2009 at 05:30 PM.

Expert

Hey thanks for the feedback team. And thanks JarM for trying to see how it converted. Sounds like staying with WMV is the cleanest and simpliest way to do quick/fun edits.
    S19