Thread: Who goes there? Contact or Friend?

Default Who goes there? Contact or Friend?

With reference to post #15 in Privacy thread, what's the difference between a Contact and a Friend in the context of FF?

And can Contacts see private Albums?

While I'm here, what's the purpose of the "Thread Starter" field? All it seems to do is reorder the list of topics, and there's already a way to start a new thread in any case (it's labeled "New Thread").
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Want to chat with FF members? Click here..

elgrego

Quote Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
    And can Contacts see private Albums?
    You already know they can.

You have posted to that effect 3 times in the privacy thread.

Also see attached pic.

As this has already been established elsewhere, why are we going over this again?

While I'm here, what's the purpose of the "Thread Starter" field? All it seems to do is reorder the list of topics, and there's already a way to start a new thread in any case (it's labeled "New Thread").
    Don't know sorry, I looked in the vbulletin docs but couldn't find a mention of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by elgrego; 07-12-2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: added thread starter response

Quote Originally Posted by elgrego View Post
    You already know they can.

You have posted to that effect 3 times in the privacy thread.

Also see attached pic.

As this has already been established elsewhere, why are we going over this again?
    Because I'm only guessing that that's how it's supposed to work, that's why. Has it been established? Should it be like that? I keep asking, but nobody seems to know. If I knew what "Contact" means in FF, I'd be a lot happier.

But I still don't know what defines a Contact. Do you? It seems that one definition might be someone who has asked to be a Friend. I'm guessing. If so, should they be able to see Private Albums?

I'd say Friends (and Admin people) should be the only ones allowed to see Private stuff. Not Contacts (whatever they might be). Anyone disagree?

elgrego

Here we go, this is what it says in the faqs

Private albums can only be viewed by site staff (moderators, administrators) and your Friends and Contacts
    seems fairly clear to me.

Because I'm only guessing that that's how it's supposed to work, that's why. Has it been established? Should it be like that? I keep asking, but nobody seems to know. If I knew what "Contact" means in FF, I'd be a lot happier.
    But I still don't know what defines a Contact. Do you? It seems that one definition might be someone who has asked to be a Friend.
    wicked knows, he already told you in another thread.

Again from the faq

What is the difference between a friend and a contact?

A friendship is a mutual, two-way relationship between two users. It is initiated by one user and accepted by the other.

A contact is a one-way friendship. This could be where the other person does not accept the friendship, a friendship request is pending, or you do not wish to be friends at this time but want to show them as a contact only.

Where is list of friends and contacts displayed?

Your friends and contacts are displayed on the 'Contacts and Friends' page in your User CP. Your friends are also displayed in your profile page.

How can I request a friend, accept a friend or break a friendship?

There are two ways to request a friendship with someone.

The easiest way is to view the profile page of the person you want to become friends with and click the 'Befriend' link.

The other way is to add the person to your contacts first. Then from your 'Contacts and Friends' page ask to be their friend by checking the box next to their name labelled 'Friend'. Next, save the page.

If you know the username of the person you want to be friends with you can send a friend request using the box provided and clicking 'Add Friend'.
    All this to me says that, it is a one way thing from you, whether a person is able to view an album depends on who requested the friendship

eg

fingers asks memberxy to be a friend - memberxy is then a contact (pending friendship) of fingers and will be able to see any albums of fingers

however if

memberxy asks fingers to be a friend - fingers is a contact of memberxy but memberxy wont be able to see albums of fingers

Only if fingers initiates the contact with another member will they be able to see fingers' private albums (except for all seeing mods of course )

That's what it suggests to me.

Now, frankly I'd rather be looking at women with cum on their face.

Thanks for all your hard work, ElG, and I really do appreciate your efforts, but you did say "it suggests to me", "all this to me says", "seems clear to me".

But we're still left with this:

"A contact is a one-way friendship. This could be where the other person does not accept the friendship, a friendship request is pending, or you do not wish to be friends at this time but want to show them as a contact only."
    That "suggests to me" that someone who has requested a friendship might be a Contact of mine. And Contacts can see private Albums. Remember that this discussion started in the first place because someone wanted to know why a non-Friend could see her private Album.

I think I can imagine how it's supposed to work, but has anyone tested how it actually works?

What it boils down to is that all the Rules, terminology, limitations, and anything else that effects how the site works, and what is expected from Members, should all be put together, clearly described, and put somewhere on the site in a single post, where everyone can see it at any time, and it's clearly labeled and easy to get at.

I have been asked to do that exact thing, and would appreciate any and all input from anyone who has the hard facts. No guessing.

"Now, frankly I'd rather be looking at women with cum on their face." says it all for me. To be honest all this back and forth on this is mind numbing It seems to me to be pretty clear how it works and is being beaten to death my head is spinning

Not a PLATINUM MEMBER yet? Click HERE to join.
    My Retro Thread http://www.facialforum.net/showthread.php?t=26550

Lightbulb

What it boils down to is that all the Rules, terminology, limitations, and anything else that effects how the site works, and what is expected from Members, should all be put together, clearly described, and put somewhere on the site in a single post, where everyone can see it at any time, and it's clearly labeled and easy to get at.
    I think Fingers that you might find that all this has already been done in the various sections within the "Help and Support Section" here:

http://www.facialforum.net/forums.php

You seem to be the only person that is continually posting about how confusing things are in here, often labouring over the same points in different threads throughout the forum.
    I can appreciate you are doing this for the best of reasons but really I think you could now be in danger of being accused of being overly concerned with minute details or formalisms.

We are always happy for members to air their views as it can be, on occasions very helpful but I do think now, this topic has run its course.
    Cheers anyway.
    Last edited by alkie; 07-12-2009 at 06:03 PM.