Thread: Bit Torrent

Virgin

Default Bit Torrent

Guys,

can someone please explain bit torrents to me in words of small syallables? I've downloaded uTorrent, but the download speeds ain't great (the most it's done is 6.7kb per sec), it seems to take forever and half the downloads are dead anyway.

also, how does the law stand on so called file sharing in the uk? I don't want the thought and copywriter police kicking me door in.

Cheers for your help.

Default Torrents

Bit torrents work like this...

Someone takes a file and hosts it on their computer, others (using a site that tells them where to find these people hosting) download it in little tiny pieces, a small bit at a time, like picking up a book one page at a time, not necessarily in order. When the whole thing is done you have the entire file. You then (seed) host the file as well, and now there are two sources for the file, and others can pick up pieces from either you or the original poster. Soon there are many people hosting, so new people looking to download can find pieces from anyone who is on at the time.

I hope this helped.

ormingstoke

If you're using a router you'll have to open some ports to get full download speed. Even then it might not be as quick as you'd like, 'cos Vista doesn't like it.

The brand new releases may not have enough seeders for a fast D/L and the very old have virtually expired. Get in on the new releases on day 2-10 and your D/L's should be faster. I have loaded 1.5 GB vids in a couple hours. Then again, I've waited 4 days for a 2 GB vid to load that was horrible and not worth the wait. Also, it slows down your internet surfing, so you may want to pause your D/L's while you work on the web. Then, let them run overnight. Be patient. Anything you want is out there!

Talking Awesome!

I LOVE that a girl explained this!

Patience is everything w/low seed torrents. 7kb/s is about 600mb/24h. Be aware tho that always 24h w/fast computer online will skyrocket electric bill (noticed that myself after it was 'too late'