Thread: Question on adding RAM

Default Question on adding RAM

I was hoping someone could help me with this. I am hearing two different things.

I have a Dell that I have inherited. It only has 512Mb memory. I have ordered a 1 Gb upgrade.

My question is: Do I need to remove the old memory before installing the new, or can I leave it in place and just add the new 1Gb?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Expert

Default Answer

Time to upgrade, heh???

Well since it seems that i'm the only one who dares to give an opinion I'll try...

Well those memory modules has their own speed that usually is interpreted in MHZ. Normally you would want all your memory modules to have the same speed.
    But then came computers that were capable of handling different memory speeds. They would simply force the faster memory modules to work at a slower speed to match the slower memory modules.

So if I was in your shoes I'd simply try with both and see if your computer adds the amount together towards 1500Mb (1,5Gb).
    If you see him sticking at 1000Mb(1Gb) or 512Mb, then you should remove the 512 module.

Why didn't you just put 2 or 3Gb of memory?
    Windows will wiggle it's tail like a happy dog when it gets much RAM to swim in. Just dont go more than 3Gb.

I hope my answer helped out a little.

Expert

I agree completely with what psychox has said, but jsut wanted point out that the difference in speed between the two sticks is likely small thus the benefit of having the extra 512 in there would be greater then having slightly faster memory. also when you put it in try and check for writing near the slots saying "Dimm_1" "Dimm_2" etc... and put the 1 gig in the lowest nubered slot (some might have a Dimm_0)

Thanks! I will do that! I think I will also go ahead and get another 1Gb memory. I have 4 slots, so I have room. I should have got 2 to start with.

Virgin

Quote Originally Posted by tabbi View Post
    Thanks! I will do that! I think I will also go ahead and get another 1Gb memory. I have 4 slots, so I have room. I should have got 2 to start with.
    try to balance the 4 slots with equal ram.. also sometimes ur PC will have a limitation on how much RAM per slot

figure out what is the max.. or optimium

http://www.memorysuppliers.com/memoryfinder.html

then my advice.. get it cheap ass on ebay.. and also sell your old sticks in EBAY. .and 100% match DDR etc.. b4 u buy

**Mod Edit**
    I know you are just trying to be helpful but please remember hot links are a no no in here, I have altered it to remain within our rules.
    -al
    Last edited by alkie; 12-12-2009 at 03:35 PM.