Thread: How to join all movie files Step-ByStep

Default How to join all movie files Step-ByStep

I have had problems with the movie files here for a while and gave up on them
    because I was too lazy to find out what I was doing wrong.
    Last night I had a look at HJ-split (not used it for years) and realized what was
    going wrong.
    I have searched the forum for a definitive guide that is universally accepted by
    people as having helped them but cannot find one.
    Apologies to anyone else who has posted a guide and feels that I'm stepping on toes
    - I'm just trying to be helpful.
    Finally - If this workthrough is successful for you please say so and then others
    will have an idea of its usefulnes.
    Thanx.

Fisrtly, you should use the appropriate player:
    The admin saved me uploading it by posting the neccessary links here:
    http://www.facialforum.net/showthrea...highlight=.wmv
    This will make an older (and better!) version of media player work with just about
    every file going. Even .mov and flv (flash video).

Now the files themselves.
    There seem to be several types of files uploaded on this board - and I don't just
    mean files with different extensions.

I mean there are the single video files like this one:

Here the file is a 'stand-alone' and should download and play with no additional
    work from you.

Next are the 'multiple-stand-alones' and here's an example:
    Again the files should be downloaded and played 'as-is' without any joining or
    renaming etc.
    (Although it is worth noting that the following 'HJ' tip may be tried on the
    'multiple-stand-alones' to see if they are joinable. I tried it on a couple of
    movies that had separate parts all playing perfectly well and the join seems to
    have worked!..

But now for the real issue - The HJ-split files. Here's an example:

I first noticed a problem when all 3 of my browsers wanted to save the files with
    the SAME filename! I downloaded them and manually gave them different names but
    parts 2 onward were always unplayable and part 1 played with errors.
    When I bothered to check how HJ works I realized what was going on - and it is VERY
    SIMPLE FOLKS!

Just do this for ALL split files!

Highlight the name of file number 1 like this:

And COPY the name to clipboard.

Now click the file to download it but ignore the name that you are told to save it
    as and paste the name you just copied.
    With this example you would be asked to save the Nina Hartley video part-1 as:
    mfhmninahartley_clip6_large.mpg.001
    And you must call it:
    mfhmninahartley_clip6_large.mpg.001
    You will notice that the two filenames are the same!.. so why bother with the name copying?
    You do this because every subsequent file that is part of this set should be
    renamed in sequence and copying the name to clipboard means you won't make any mistakes.
    Rename the set by pasting the original filename into the 'save' box and then ammending the last digit in the filename like this:
    mfhmninahartley_clip6_large.mpg.002
    mfhmninahartley_clip6_large.mpg.003

And so on for longer sequenced splits.

Later, you may even wish to play these split files (lol) and it's quite simple:
    FIRST - MAKE SURE THAT WINDOWS IS DISPLAYING FULL FILENAMES AND ALL EXTENSIONS!
    Use the HJ-Split program to locate the folder where the files have been saved.
    Oh No! there are no files here!!!
    Don't worry, this is because HJ is looking for it's own file extension. If you open
    the folder in Windows you will see files that look like this: (NOTE - these are not the Nina Hartley files, I didn't download these so I couldn't use them in an example)

The downloader has added a further extension to the files - denoting the type of
    video it is - here we have Mpegs but it could be Avi's or some other.
    Now just delete the FINAL extension from each of the files in the sequence so that
    they all look like this:

HJ-Split will now automatically locate the file with extension .001 and join it to
    .002 & .003 etc.

ENJOY!

Triplkeido.