Thread: Media player help sought

Beginner

Default Media player help sought

Dear FF folks,

I'm having trouble playing wmv, mpeg, mov, mpg files etc... I've downloaded VLC media player - but this doesn't seem to pick up the video (sometimes audio).

Any ideas welcome
    Reduce

Virgin

Default vids

VLC will play all those. You could also try media player classic. mpc-hc.sourceforge.net. Although it might be an issue with a codec. If you have k-lite codec pack or something similar (ffdshow) you might want to try uninstalling it. Good luck!

Please, no hotlinks - RemBo

GOM player works well with nearly everything also. Google it. Its free.

Beginner

Default Media player help sought

thanks gman and goboy. GOM player seems to work for all file types. I can now play all standalone files. Any clips that are HJ split don't work though. Is there a trick with removing/changing the file name when saving?

reduce

Bobby Coke

Default HJ Split

Quote Originally Posted by reduce44 View Post
    thanks gman and goboy. GOM player seems to work for all file types. I can now play all standalone files. Any clips that are HJ split don't work though. Is there a trick with removing/changing the file name when saving?

reduce
    Do you mean after you've joined the HJ Split files together you're still having problems?

Just in case you're not aware, any HJ Split files you download have to be joined together before you can play them. After you've joined the HJ files you'll be left with one complete .avi file or whatever other format there might, and that will play just as the stand alone files do now.

There's a helpful HJ Split User Guide posted by spence, and trplkeido posted a helpful thread too: How to join all movie files Step-ByStep.

Hope that helps you.

Beginner

Thanks Bobby Coke. That's very useful to know! I've now looked at everybody's advice, done some experimenting and have succeeded. It is a little more time-consuming than downloading a stand-alone - but the rewards of joining up some of these FF videos is worth the effort.

Thanks all again.

Bobby Coke

Default You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by reduce44 View Post
    Thanks Bobby Coke. That's very useful to know! I've now looked at everybody's advice, done some experimenting and have succeeded. It is a little more time-consuming than downloading a stand-alone - but the rewards of joining up some of these FF videos is worth the effort.

Thanks all again.
    No problem reduce, happy to help.

It is a little more time consuming but after a while it just becomes a force of habit joining the clips together and you barely notice.

Like you say, it's worth the effort to be able to enjoy everything posted in the platinum section rather than being limited to just the stand-alone clips. Glad you got it working and can now search around for whatever vids catch your eye...